For the first time in its history, BASF is today announcing long-term and global environmental and safety goals in the fields of emissions to air and water, occupational and distribution safety and product stewardship.
By 2012, BASF plans to cut emissions of greenhouse gases by 10 percent per metric ton of sales product, and air pollutants by 40 percent from its worldwide chemicals business compared with 2002. The company also intends to reduce emissions of both organic substances and nitrogen to water by 60 percent and heavy metal emissions by 30 percent.
The chemicals giant also plans to significantly improve its safety record by 2012 with goals of 80 percent fewer lost-time accidents compared with 2002 and 70 percent fewer transportation accidents compared with the current year.
By 2008, BASF intends to extend its data to include all relevant information on all chemical substances handled in volumes exceeding one metric ton per year.
‘These goals signal our commitment to our customers, employees and other stakeholders. We want to show that BASF will continue to match its words on sustainable development with deeds,’ said Eggert Voscherau, BASF’s Industrial Relations Director.
Voscherau stressed the importance of voluntary initiatives by industry for environmental and consumer protection. ‘What we need is an environment that recognises and promotes independent initiative by industry – and not even more laws and bureaucracy,’ he stated, referring to the EU debate on chemicals policy and emissions trading.
‘Based on the voluntary agreements of the German Chemical Industry Association, we have already systematically collected all relevant information in standardised data sets for the 2,600 substances we handle in volumes exceeding one metric ton per year in Europe,’ commented Dr. Walter Seufert, President of the Environment, Safety & Energy Competence Centre.
‘This is equivalent to approximately 90 percent of all substances that we handle worldwide. In five years, we will have done the same for the remaining 10 percent. The latter are mostly substances in the United States and Asia as well as products acquired due to portfolio changes,’ added Dr. Seufert.