Companies warned after electrical deaths

The Health & Safety Executive has warned owners of industrial premises to check electrical testing equipment following the death of two Scottish Power workers last month at a substation near Glasgow. The HSE said that its initial investigations into the incident suggested that a guide rod on a test probe became detached as it was […]

The Health & Safety Executive has warned owners of industrial premises to check electrical testing equipment following the death of two Scottish Power workers last month at a substation near Glasgow.

The HSE said that its initial investigations into the incident suggested that a guide rod on a test probe became detached as it was being lowered into an oil-filled switch of the `ring main unit’ type.

The rod had fallen on to live bus-bars at the bottom of the oil tank and caused a short circuit that had led to the fire and explosion.

An HSE spokesman said the oil-filled switches were widely used in industrial premises, schools and hospitals. `The warning has to be wider than just to the electricity industry,’ said a spokesman.