* A free guide on exposure to radio waves has been published by the National Radiological Protection Board. This is the 13th in its At a Glance series covering radiation and related topics.
NRPB ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 200
* Advances in steam distribution technology mean lower lifecycle costs for steam heating systems used in the paper industry. Spirax-Sarco’s eight-page Technology of Steam brochure has tips for improving efficiency.
SPIRAX-SARCO ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 201
* The Composites Processing Association 1977 members’ directory lists everybody who is anybody in the reinforced plastics business from materials suppliers to academics, test houses and consultants. The introductory guide to the technology and processes is helpful to non-specialists. Copies cost £10 inclusive.
CPA ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 202
* Pressurised systems feature in the latest BSI publications. They include BS 5500:1977 Specification for Unfired Fusion Welded Pressure Vessels and BS 6005: 1997 Specification for Moulded Transparent Polycarbonate Bowls used in Compressed Air Filters and Lubricators. Latest in the BS 5500 series of Enquiry Cases is The Use of Copper and Copper Alloys for the Construction of Pressure Vessels.
BSI ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 203
* Process control company Honeywell has published a test standard to verify the compatibility of third party communication I/O devices with its Smart Distributed System. The document can be downloaded free from Honeywell’s Web site http://www.honeywell.sensing.com or US bulletin board dialling 001 815235 5907.
HONEYWELL ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 204
* Three-wire circuits have become the norm in contemporary strain gauge technology. The latest technical tip from Measurements Group explains how the use of a third leadwire with a single active strain gauge can halve leadwire attenuation and almost eliminate measurement errors associated with temperature changes in leadwires. Tech Tip TT-612 is free.
MEASUREMENTS GROUP ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 205
* I/O device programmers may not be suitable for everyone but equipment rental giant Livingston thinks they are important enough to set up an electronic database called Access so design engineers can make the right choice. Having searched Access, all that is needed for next-day delivery is to call Livingston with the number of the chosen part.
LIVINGSTON RENTAL ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 206
* The Health & Safety Manager’s Yearbook gives the names of health and safety contacts in 4,500 major companies and organisations. The wealth of information includes suppliers of products and services including consultants, professional associations and training bodies. It costs £45 including post and packing. ISBN 0-906247-74-8.
AP INFO SERVICES ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 208
* The Safety Assessment Federation agreed a common format for Welding Certification which is effective from 1 January. The certificate, which conforms with UK and European standards on welder and welding procedure approval, should speed up work acceptance. The document has unique numbering for future identification, translation of key terms into French and German and watermarking to guard against fraud.
SAFETY ASSESSMENT FED ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 207