To help speed up car development, designers at Formula One team Benetton use in-house metal verification equipment rather than sending parts out to testers. Arun Technology, which supplies the Metalscan analysis equipment, is sponsoring the Benetton Renault team this year.
ARUN TECHNOLOGY ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 210
* A polyurethane coating to protect bumpers on unmanned vehicles, robots and other machines has been chosen by Herga Electric because it is tough enough to protect the underlying foam from which the bumper is made, while flexible enough to allow operation of fibre optic sensors embedded in the foam that stop the vehicle on impact.
ITW IRATHANE ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 211
* A low-wettability glass-ceramic coating similar to PTFE but with much smoother surface and better adhesion to metal has been developed by German firm Nanasol, using advanced sol-gel chemistry. It is suitable for biological and clinical applications where cross-contamination needs to be avoided.
PHOTONICS ANALYTICAL ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 212
* ChromaFlair, an innovative pigment being used as the basis of a two-tone paint supplied to Volkswagen, is made by Flex Products, an independent company which is not part of DuPont as we said earlier.
FLEX PRODUCTS ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 213
* Subsea bolting applications have been identified for Nibron Special, a strong cupronickel highly resistant to corrosion, erosion and fouling.
COLUMBIA METALS ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 214
* Dip moulding is being used to form air ducts to the engine cooling system on the Aston Martin Lagonda Vantage car. More flexible and easier to fit than the original two-part vacuum-formed component, the dip-moulded replacement is more economic for small batches. The process is said to compete strongly with injection moulded parts.
COVE PLASTICS ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 215