John McKeown, Scottish Nuclear’s health, safety and licensing director, is to become chief executive designate of the UK Atomic Energy Authority, following the retirement of Derek Pooley in November.
McKeown was responsible for raising safety levels at Scottish Nuclear and, as director of projects he increased profits from £32m in 1992 to £150m in 1995.
Appointed by the trade and industry secretary Margaret Beckett, McKeown will take up his post on 1 October.
* Hugh Lang Brammer and Manganese Bronze Holdings chairman, has become chairman of Albion Automotive, following the retirement of Joe Holgate.
* Ford chairman and chief executive officer Sir Alex Trotman has joined the board of ICI as a non-executive director.
* Sir Colin Marshall will take over the chair of Siebe in 1998, following Barrie Stephens’ retirement next year.
* Avon Rubber’s head of European Technical Products Division Roger Hunt has been promoted to worldwide head of technical products and appointed to the board.
* Mike Wardle has been appointed as the information technology manager at Vickers Defence Systems at Newcastle. He was previously research engineer.
* Simon Fanshawe, operations development director at Master Chemical Europe, has been promoted to managing director following the departure of Hamish Mitchell to International Operations as the vice-president.
* Peter Humphreys has been appointed chief executive of the Universities and Colleges Employers’ Association. He was formerly personnel director of the National Rivers Authority.