* The time it takes to dress the water-transfer holes on the engine blocks of Formula One Mercedes racing cars has been cut from four hours to 30 minutes by Ilmor Engineering, Brixworth. It used a Centreline tooling head fitted to a vertical machining centre. This takes the spindle drive through 90i to two horizontally-orientated tools at 180i to each other. The slot drill and shell milling operation is done in one setup. Dozens of 8mm holes are machined in the aluminium casting to 0.25mm accuracy.
CENTRELINE ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 200
The switch to radio control
* Radio telemetry is making inroads into factory communications and Rhopoint’s transceiver, the Elpro 105U, is no exception. The unit, which can transmit and receive, is useful for monitor and control functions such as altering tank levels.
Features include security, licence-free operation and a range up to 10km, or further with a repeater.
New input and output configurations are to be announced soon for the unit launched a year ago.
RHOPOINT ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 201
* Low voltage hoists target safe machine loading and other light tasks for weights up to 600lb. Dynamic braking permits precision positioning. Lifting speeds of 6.4m/min are achievable.
RYDERS INTNL ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 202
* The MicroMax is a form of scissor-lift for confined spaces and lifts loads up to 150kg. A slant-wheel mechanism enables it to turn on its own axis.
MAXLIFT ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 203
* Frozen pipes have their benefits. The Rigid electric pipe freezer forms ice plugs in steel and copper up to 42mm allowing maintenance or repairs without having to close down the system.
RIGID ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 204
* Disposable aprons can be more hygienic and tidier than soiled cloth versions. Sentinel’s, in rolls of 200, are made from standard gauge blue or white polythene.
SENTINEL LABS ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 205
* Vibration white finger is said to be on the increase. The Harm hand/arm risk meter measures vibration and performs calculations for a health and safety risk assessment. Information can be displayed on its screen or downloaded to a PC.
CASTLE GROUP ON EXPRESS ENQUIRY CARD 206
* Electronic and other equipment not in use for a long time runs the risk of corrosion. Barrier foil bags guard against this. An aluminium layer acts as a gas barrier, turning the bag into a form of flexible tin can. The bags are claimed to be 80 times more effective than polythene at preventing moisture ingress and are available in any size or quantity.