* Acordis Speciality Filters, honoured jointly with ConvaTec for the development of Aquacel Hydrofibre wound dressing, that forms a gel over the wound to keep it moist..
* AirSense Technology, for its Stratos-HSSD high sensitivity smoke detector which can adjust to suit different environments and distinguish between dust and smoke.
* Alstom Energy, for a 3D steam turbine blade that has been used in nuclear power stations to improve turbine output.
* Brunton’s Propellers, for an automatic variable-pitch marine propeller that alters its pitch to suit the boat it is mounted on.
* Digital Engineering, for a system that emulates the different types of ISDN phone lines used around the world.
* Glaxo Research and Development, for the Diskus multi-dose dry-powder inhaler used to treat asthma.
* Telecom Systems, a division of Hewlett-Packard, for revolutionising the monitoring and correction of faults on telephone networks in real time.
* Immunodiagnostic Systems, for test kits for determining vitamin D in body material.
* Marathon Belting, for Copsil, a press compensating mat used on large hydraulic presses.
* Exhaust Gas Cooling, a division of Serck Heat Transfer, for exhaust gas coolers for diesel engines
* Snell and Wilcox, for Prefix, which provides high-quality noise reduction and digital decoding of video signals.
* The Technology Partnership, for the ChemScan single-cell bacteria detector.
* Zeneca Agrochemicals, for Amistar, a fungicide which acts as both protectant and curative.