British Steel has won the lion’s share of UK research work under this year’s £38m European Coal and Steel Community research programme. EU ministers have agreed to 72 research projects and 18 pilot projects.
Projects involving British companies include:
* Determination of coke bed voidage in the blast furnace hearth (British Steel).
* Designing strip cooling systems using advanced techniques (British Steel).
* Improvement of weld properties of high nitrogen alloyed stainless steels (Avesta Sheffield).
* Development of computational fluid dynamic-based engineering methods for evaluating thermal action on steel and composite structures (BRE).
* Steel in residential buildings for adaptable and sustainable construction (SCI).
* High-speed welding of packaging steel (Carnaud, Metal Box and ITRA).
British Steel is also a partner in most of projects that have a UK input, which include research on models for mixed microstructures and ultra-fine steel flat products.
Copyright: Centaur Communications Limited