Road maintenance

Carillion and the WSP Group have secured an £85m maintenance contract with the Highways Agency, which is due to start in September 2008.




Carillion and the WSP Group have secured an £85m maintenance contract with the Highways Agency, which is due to start in September 2008.



The five-year Managing Agent Contractor (MAC) contract is for all motorways and truck roads in Area Eight, an area that covers Herftfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Milton Keynes and the Luton unitary authorities.



Carillion currently holds 60 per cent interest in the venture and WSP holds the remaining 40 per cent. The project has the potential for two one-year extensions through to 2015.



Carillion chief executive John McDonough said: ‘We are committed to supporting the Highways Agency in its mission to provide safe roads and reliable journeys, whilst delivering continual improvement and substantial efficiency gains.’



He added: ‘It is a testament to this strong working relationship that Carillion has provided road maintenance services in Area Eight for the past ten years.’