Buying space

QinetiQ has grabbed a 90% share of Verhaert Design and Development and has an option to purchase the remaining 10% at a later date.


QinetiQ has grabbed a 90% share of Verhaert Design and Development (VDD) and has an option to purchase the remaining 10% at a later date.



VDD, a subsidiary of the Verhaert Group of companies based outside Antwerp in Belgium, develops systems for the European Space Agency, large systems integrators and governments. It provides small satellites, docking and ejection systems and instruments and facilities for micro-gravity research in both manned and unmanned space missions.



“With this deal QinetiQ and Verhaert have created a company that is well placed to bridge the gap that currently exists in the European space industry between the two biggest players and a multitude of smaller suppliers,” said Andrew Rogoyski, Managing Director of QinetiQ’s Space Division.



The Belgian space systems integrator will be renamed Verhaert Space and will continue to operate autonomously under its existing management team out of its premises in Antwerp.