The world’s largest solar powered boat – The MS Turanor PlanetSolar – dropped anchor in London earlier this week following a two-month long scientific expedition tracking the Gulf Stream.
Originally launched in March 2010, the innovative 31 metre long catamaran is covered in over 500 square metres of solar panels and last year became the first solar-powered electric vehicle to circumnavigate the globe.
MS Turanor – Technical Specifications
- Length with / without flaps 35 m / 31m
- Width with / without flaps 23 / 15m
- Height. 6.3m
- Draft 1.55m
- Weight 89t
- Average speed 5 knots (9.25km/h)
- Surface area of solar panels 512m3
- PV panel efficiency 18.8%
- Installed PV power 93.5kW
- Maximal engine power 120kw
- Average engine consumption: 20 kW (26.8 HP)
- Crew: 4 members
- Number of people that can go on board: 60