The French nuclear engineering company Areva has joined forces with the
Areva will hold 67 per cent in the Areva Newport News joint venture, with Northrop Grumman holding the remaining 33 per cent.
The two will build the new $360m 300,000 square-foot facility in which they will manufacture heavy components for the US EPR, Areva’s Generation III+ nuclear pressurised water reactor.
The factory will be the first full-scale manufacturing facility dedicated to supplying heavy components, such as reactor vessels, steam generators and pressurisers, to the
Areva has been manufacturing heavy components for the global commercial nuclear industry for more than 30 years at its Chalon/St.Marcel plant in
Since its completion in 1975, the Chalon/St. Marcel facility has manufactured all the heavy components for French pressurised water reactors (PWRs) ranging from 900MW to 1500MW.
Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding, a company best known for building US nuclear warships, will contribute its industrial engineering and manufacturing expertise to the venture, which is expected to create 500 new jobs in the region.