Product Details Supplier Info More products

Aker Solutions has delivered the 100th subsea tree, a technology that enables oil and gas production directly from a subsea well to processing facility, to Statoil’s Troll subsea field development.

The tree is essentially an advanced set of valves, used with associated technologies to control the well flow, making it an integral part of a subsea production system.

The Troll field is located in the northern part of the North Sea, approximately 65km west of Kollsnes, near Bergen in Norway.

The field contains 40 per cent of the total gas reserves on the Norwegian continental shelf and is also one of the largest oil fields on the continental shelf.

The vision of embarking on a large subsea project began in 1991 when Kvaerner Energy, now known as Aker Solutions, started developing a subsea tree.

In July 1996 the company was awarded a contract for the delivery of 65 subsea trees for the Troll project.

The delivery to Norsk Hydro, now Statoil, started in the spring of 1997.

The contract award and deliveries for the Troll project have helped to shape and develop Aker Solutions’ subsea business.

Today, the company is a major supplier of subsea production systems and the Tranby technology and manufacturing centre outside Oslo, which is the main production site for subsea trees in Norway, has grown to employ more than 500 people.

In total, the subsea business in Aker Solutions employs more than 4,300 people globally.

Shell was initially the operator of Troll when the first block was awarded in 1979.

A large gas field with underlying oil was discovered in the same year and the field was then declared commercial in 1983.

During the same year, the three neighbouring blocks were awarded to Statoil, Norsk Hydro and Saga Petroleum.

Shell’s block contained 32 per cent of the Troll field’s reserves while the remaining 68 per cent were discovered in the other three blocks.

In 1985, the two licenses were merged and Troll was developed as a field.

Statoil became the operator for Troll Gas in 1996, while Norsk Hydro began production from Troll Oil in the autumn of 1995.

Of the 100 trees delivered to Statoil, 99 of them are oil-producing trees and one of them is a water-injection tree.

32 of the subsea trees are connected to the Troll B platform and the rest are connected to the Troll C platform.

Aker Solutions Oil and Gas

View full profile